Wednesday 24 July 2013

Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats

I have dabbled in overnight oats in the crockpot twice since my mom bought me a mini-crockpot for Christmas this year. I'm still working on the proper proportions, however the thing I love about making them the most is the smell that floats throughout the apartment overnight.

Here's some step-by-step instructions on the Apple Cinnamon oats I made this week, with photos!

Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
(Serves 1)

Ingredients
- Half an apple, sliced into chunks
- 1/3 of a cup of steel-cut oats (I buy mine from the Bulk Barn)
- 1 cup of almond milk (or any non-dairy milk/water)
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup of ground flax seeds
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar or favourite sweetener

1. Place apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and flax seed in bottom of crock pot, and mix thoroughly.

2. Add oats and almond milk. Stir, the cover.



3. Cook for 7 hours. After cooking, it should look like this:



4. Place in bowl, add brown sugar to top to melt. Enjoy.



Notes: I have tried adding the sugar to the oatmeal before cooking and I have found that the sweetness dissipates, hence adding it as a final flourish instead.

Add your favourite overnight oats recipes in the comments, I love hearing from you!

2 comments:

  1. I love cold Overnight Oats, and I love regular, old hot oatmeal. So, these sound like the best of both worlds.

    Maybe this is a silly question, but what temperature or setting is the crockpot on?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a silly question at all!
    My small crockpot doesn't actually have a temperature setting; it just plugs in and goes. But if I had to guess, I would put it on low.

    ReplyDelete